Friday, September 14, 2007

The Perfect Blue Martini

While I'm not actually a martini drinker, there has always been something truly alluring about the simple drink. Had I not taken my first plunge into the pool with a combination of a friend's father's best bottle of Beefeater's spiked with of all things- grape Kool-Aide, I might feel quite different. But, as it is-gin tastes like a Christmas tree to me-though I am trying hard to learn to love it. I feel that like caviar it is a taste for which one should acquire.

I hate tchotski's on the whole, but I might just have to invest in a pair of these little blue glasses. If it worked for Benchley-it should as well work for me.

As Ms. Parker was known to have said:

"I like a good martini,
One or two at the most.
After one I'm under the table,
After two, I'm under the host."

Should you feel the need to toss aside the concept of this simple drink for something well...more girly but still quite potent, I suggest the following.

Algonquin Bar Punch Recipe

Ingredients
1 oz Pineapple
1 oz Dry Vermouth
2 oz Canadian Whiskey (smuggled past the Mounties & the FEDs)

Directions

Shake and strain into an old-fashioned glass three-quarters filled with cracked ice.
Add an orange slice or a cherry.
Drink to excess.

Hiccup. If you need me I'll be under the host.

No comments: