Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Poetic Digestive Aide

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.

Dorothy Parker, Not So Deep As Well (1937)

I don't often remember quotes. I wish I was one of those people who could reel off sonnets by Shakespeare, verse by Milton, divine snippets of Nabakov, and famous quotes by the famous-but I'm not. All of these things slip though my mind as through a strainer no matter how many times I try to keep them locked up there for future use. Strangely, the above is one of the few quotes that I do consistently remember. It's almost a little song. Maybe its just the cadence of Ms. Parker. Maybe it's the biting wit. But, I do remember many of her witticisms.

It might seem beyond odd. And, I might have already posted this before in this blog, but one of the few poems I can recite line and verse is by Ms. Parker as well. Not exactly uplifting Thanksgiving reading, but then when is Ms. Parker ever uplifting? Well, she makes me smile. Maybe she'll make you smile today as well.

If anyone is reading today, Happy Thanksgiving.

Here's a touch of poetry to help you digest your turkey and canned cranberry sauce.

Résumé

Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

No comments: