Thursday, June 26, 2008

If I Was A Rich Girl..Monet's Le Basin Aux Nympheas

















Oh, to have money to burn. I wouldn’t burn it. No. I would buy art.

Lots of art-and I’d be nice and share it with everyone.

I would loan it to museums and go stand in awe of it next to the esthete’s and the flip-flop wearers and the screaming three year olds. I promise.

If there is a genie in a bottle somewhere or a bank robber or major corporation looking to divest themselves of a few hundred million dollars, I promise I’ll treat your funds with kindness and conscience.

For example, this week I’d have been front-row-center this week when “Le basin aux nympheas” by Claude Monet went on the block in Europe. The most important work from his Waterlilies series to be auctioned in Europe, it sold for 41 million Euro, a record price for the artists work.

The painting, produced in 1919 is unlike most of Monet’s other work which remained unfinished in the studio when he died in 1879 of lung cancer in 1926. Of the three other large-scale water-lily works, one is in the collection of New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, one is in a private collection, and the third was cut in two before the Second World War.

No comments: