Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Grafitti as Art: BLU

There's a lot of conversation in Atlanta these days about grafitti. Recently, a huge mural near my old house was defaced by a tag and even the local artists were raised to indignation. They wanted somebody to pay. They wanted the guy put out in public to be shunned and screamed at and taunted. I frankly didn't like the mural that much, so it didn't chuff me that much.

Graffitti is something that says "city" to me.

I might also say that this same group of riotous artists were up in arms last spring when a stretch of wall that has long been a graffitti work spot was painted matte green by residents. The artists were beside themselves with indignation when a local resident camped out in a tree and assaulted two teens who started painting on the wall in the dead of night.

Frankly, I think the whole lot of them are a bunch of nuts.

Here's an amazing short film by BLU. It proves graffitti can be art.


MUTO a wall-painted animation by BLU from blu on Vimeo.

No comments: