Tuesday, May 4, 2010

'A Day in the Life' for Sale

When they say that not everything can be bought, it appears that the list of items included in "everything" is growing smaller. I'm not judging, if I was in a bad financial pinch there are not many physical possessions that I call my own that I wouldn't not willingly divest. But I'm not sure I could part with this little jewel.

The final song on "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" titled "A Day in the Life" is up on the auction block. The single piece of paper penned by John Lennon will go under the gavel on June 18th at Sotheby's and are expected to bring between a half a million and $700k pounds.

Inspired by real-life events, including a newspaper artlce about numerous potholes in Blackburn, Lancashire, the song is one of the Fab Four's most recognizable tunes. Strangely enough, the original lyrics do not contain the mildly controversal "I'd love to turn you on," line which jangled many a teenage parents nerves in the early 1960s.

I hope whomever buys it will display it for we plebians to view. John would like that, yep, John would want it.

No comments: