Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Magical Feat of Engineering - The Millau Bridge

Amazing how in this time when the world seems to get smaller every day that something so phenominal could have slipped past me. I know the Sears Tower has been bought by the British and its name will soon change. I know that Somalian pirates are ravaging the seas like days of olde, and I suspect that I can even find out what Oprah had for dinner last night if I put my mind to it. So imagine my surprise when I discovered today that for nearly four years people have been literaly driving through the clouds in their cars.

Connecting Paris to Barcelona, the Millau Viaduct is part of the new E11 expressway and an absolutely magical feat of modern engineering. At its tallest point it is 787 feet high. It is taller than the Eifel Tower, and spans an impressive 1102 feet, making it the highest bridge in the world. I can only wonder what John A. Roebling would have thought if he was still alive.

One of my favorite trivia factoids about the bridge is that it is not, and could not be straight. It has a slight 20 km curve which apparently remedies the sensation of floating that would be induced if the road was straight. Absolutely fascinating. It also has a light incline of 3% to improve visability and reassure drivers.

This is officially going on the "must experience before death" list which includes things like learning to fly a helicopter, visiting every state in the United States (which I've nearly completed) and to publish a book. Hmm. Maybe someday I'll have to do a blog entry on that interesting little list.

Meanwhile, I'll be dreaming of flying through the clouds from the safety of my own little car. What will man think up next?

No comments: