Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Book Autopsies






If you haven’t figured it out by now, I love books-any book. I love the smell of them, the feel of them, the fonts, the paper, the words that tie them together, even most of the people who are brave enough to write them-even twaddle. I hate going into a bookstore and seeing someone slamming books on and off shelves. I literally shudder when I see people mistreating books. Not being a fan of small human beings I hesitate to compare them to babies-but they are-they are like delicate things to be treated with caution and love.

So, the concept of someone taking a scalpel to an old tome to make it into a piece of art should raise my hackles? No? Well-I thought it would but I’ve found a considerable exception to the rule. I can barely find a way to explain the amazing work that Brian Dettmer is doing. They are called Book Autopsies.

I’ve tried to find more information on the artist, but there’s not much on the Internet about him other than lots of images of his work, which in my opinion is a harmonious balance between the collage work of Joseph Cornell and the intricate perfection of a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

Brian Dettmer-I’m looking for you. I want to own some of your work. I want to see inside your head. I am officially fascinated.

No comments: