Thursday, October 11, 2007

Magnificent Jewels…Indeed



Oh to have all the money in the world. I would be kind to my fellow man. I would do good for others, share, be kind. Help kitties and bunnies, cure world hunger, avoid crooked politicians and garden for good. I wouldn’t become a snotty, manicured charlatan and swan off to Biarritz to play cards with the hoi-polloi. I promise I wouldn’t.

Jins trapped in bottles in the deserts of Egypt and Saudi Arabia…are you listening?

If I had all the money in the world I’d be front and center this coming week in the great halls of Christies Auction House in New York. I’ve been reading Manon Lescaut of late, so maybe I’m primed to be taken advantage of by the French and their great ability to make even the most decadent look stylish. With that in mind, I’ve fallen in love with a little beauty created by the House of Boucheron that goes up on the auction block this coming week. First- it’s a Boucheron. Enough said? The audacious 28 year old Frederic was the first jeweler to open premises on the Place Vendome in 1858. Luxurious and utterly opulent, decorated with crystal chandeliers and velvet fabrics, his boutique quickly attracted a prestigious clientele. His experiments with diamond engraving are simply breathtaking, and were the precursor of the “nature” style that he created by using snakes and other symbolic animal figures of the 19th Century Art Nouveau period.

Simple but intricate, like the very subject itself, this divine Art Nouveau bumblebee brooch is adorned with diamonds, sapphires and enamel. Valued at a paltry $60,000 to $80,000 dollars its a bargain of the day in my humble opinion.

Oh, this piece must have such a history. Where has she been? What balls and fine restaurants and soirees has she attended? What envious eyes have been cast upon her graceful beauty? The unknowable history of the piece makes it more appealing to me than its monetary value.

Come on-give a girl a present. You know you want to.

By the way, should you feel so moved, there’s also a pretty scrumptious Belle Époque diamond aigrette bandeau by Cartier (estimated to auction for $450,000 to $650,000) that would look divine on my cat Meshinko.

Sigh. A girl can dream. And with creations like these, what sweet dreams.

No comments: