Monday, October 29, 2007

Klimt- The Austrian Cometh

Thank GOD New York City is the city that never sleeps. Okay-so that’s a bunch of whooey they close way too early, but a girls got to hope. Especially since I'm going to be there in just about a month and my "must see art exhibits" list is growing exponentially. In my various “good lord I need a break from work” moments today I wandered upon a little snippet somewhere that mentioned the first museum retrospective of the work of Gustav Klimt to be held in the United States. And its going on right now! In New York! Guess what I’m going to see when I’m there in a month. You’re dang right. Whoo-hoo.

Besides paintings and drawings, the exhibition contains vintage documentary material, from letters and photographs to personal effects, such as the artists cuff links and personal seal. Not that seeing 8 of his paintings and over 120 of his sketches up close and personal wouldn’t be amazing-but apparently the Neue Galerie which is hosting the exhibition has re-created the interior of the receiving room from Klimt’s studio at Josefstadler Strass 21, Vienna. Including the original furnishings designed by Josef Hoffman, and based on the original floor plans and a 1912 photograph. The installation will apparently be accompanied by music of some of Klimts personal favorites. No doubt some Mahler will be played.

So-do you suppose I can find a way to get completely out of work and training when my job sends me to New York in December? I’ve got so many things to see while I’m there. So far the list contains the found Courbet at the Metropolitan, this amazing show, an odd little sculpture show at Jack Shainman’s gallery by my dark darling Nick Cave called “Soundsuits.”

Go see the show. Can't wait to check out this gallery:

Neue Galerie New York
1048 5th AveNew York, NY 10028
(212) 628-6200

No comments: